Monday, June 26, 2006

Columbian Medellin Excelso Bolivar Reivew

Here's the story this offering, proving that you can't choose good coffees by name or reputation: I had no intention of buying this coffee when I received the sample. Medellin is one of the three large growing areas in Colombia responsible for the majority of Colombian coffee that is pooled by bean size grade (eg Excelso). Medellins are usually not as fruity as the Popayans, and have a lighter body. Even the Huila/Caucas can be brighter in acidity, and hence more lively in the cup. I roasted a sample and let it sit there.

And as I walked past that sample all day, I picked up a bean and munched on it from time to time (I call it "caveman cupping" ...not reliable, not recommended). And each time I did that, I had a little burst of spicy flavor and a neat almond-cherry flavor. Since I had unceremoniously dumped the sample in a tray, not even bothering to mark it, I really was not sure what it was, but I knew it had great cup potential, and was a special coffee. The next day it dawned on me that it was the lowly Medellin Excelso sample, so I re-roasted it and cupped it.

I am not saying this is a penultament coffee, but this is excellent Colombian with a warm spice pungency and great body. And it's always fun to find a good cup from a simple undecorated pooled coffee lot. (When the coffee arrived I found it was a farm-specific coffee). It may seen to fly in the face of espresso-blending laws, but try an espresso made with 100% of this coffee ...it is excellent roasted just a bit into 2nd crack.

This coffee bean can be purchased from Juice & Java now.

Source: Sweet Maria's Coffee Cupping Reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home